Frequently Asked Questions

See our most common questions related to the Malta boat registration.


Malta maritime authorities will accept private pleasure yachts of any size and commercial yachts over 15 meters not older than 20 years old.

Citizens of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA), and Switzerland can register the boat under their private name.

Individuals from other countries would need to have the boat register under a Maltese or EU company.

Yes in Malta you can register the mortgage of the vessel, because the Malta register of ships provides proof of tile and this enables you to register a mortgage.

The port of registry will be Valetta, this means that Valetta will appear on the stern on all Malta registered vessels.

- The Maltese registration is valid world wide and belongs to the prestigious red ensign flag
- Available for all European citizens and company, if you are from outside the EU, we can easily set up a company in Malta for you.
- The Vat is lower than in most other EU countries
- Ability to obtain a provisional registration to cover vessel for navigation immediately after purchase
- The registration document comes in English so widely understood
- Available for commercial use
- No minimum manning policy for private yachts
- Malta has no nationality restrictions for crew giving yacht owners flexibility in whom they employ as crew onboard their vessel

In order to register your yacht in Malta, we are required to have the original documents which will be returned after:

Recreational Boat registration:

  • Original Builders Certificate (in case of new building)
  • Original notarized bill of sale
  • Original certificate of survey
  • International Tonnage Certificate (if the vessel is over 24 meters in length)
  • Carving and marking note duly signed
  • Original deletion certificate

Commercial Boat registration:

  • Inspection Report: A report issued by an authorized surveyor or classification society indicating that the vessel meets the safety and seaworthiness requirements.
  • Radio Report: A report issued by an authorized radio surveyor indicating that the vessel's radio equipment follows the relevant international regulations.
  • Radio Application: An application for a radio license for the vessel.
  • Certificate of MLC Compliance: A certificate issued by the vessel's flag state indicating that the vessel complies with the Maritime Labour Convention.
  • Survey Certificate: A certificate indicating that the vessel has undergone a survey and inspection by an authorized surveyor or classification society.
  • Tonnage Certificate: A certificate indicating the vessel's tonnage measurement.
  • Earlier survey certificate (if applicable): A certificate indicating the vessel's previous survey and inspection history.
  • Certificate of international antifouling: A certificate indicating that the vessel's antifouling systems comply with the relevant international regulations.
  • Certificate for an international load line: A certificate indicating that the vessel complies with the international load line regulations.
  • Application for registration: An application form for registering the vessel under the Maltese flag.
  • Assurance of ownership: A document indicating proof of ownership of the vessel.
  • Application form for safe manning: An application form for determining the vessel's safe manning requirements.
  • Certified copy of an old registration document: A certified copy of the vessel's previous registration document, if applicable.

Documents required for Permanent registration:

  • Builder’s certificate
  • Record of Synopsis produced by the Administration
  • Survey report
  • Proof of labelling
  • CE Marking Certificate
  • Surrender the original provisional certificate

No, Survey and tonnage and convention certificates may be issued on behalf of the Malta government by the following recognised organisations: American Bureau of Shipping, Bureau Veritas, China Classification Society, ClassNK, DNV-GL, Korean Register of Shipping, Lloyd’s Register of Shipping, Polish Register of Shipping, Registro Italiano Navale and Russian Maritime Register of Shipping.

We can provide you the provisional documents within 2-3 working days.

The provisional registration is valid for 6 months initially, it can also be extended.

Yes, the registration certificate issued by the Maltese ship registry is typically issued in paper format.

The Malta registration is valid for a year. We can help you with the easy renewals.

The documents related to vessel registration under the Maltese flag can be in either English or Maltese language.

If the documents are in different language, they have to be sworn translated. We can help you with that as well.

Yes, both recreational and commercial boats registered under the Maltese flag are required to undergo inspections to ensure compliance with safety and environmental standards.

Yes, it is possible to register a jet ski under the Maltese flag. In Malta, jet skis are classified as personal watercraft (PWC) and are subject to the same registration requirements as other types of vessels.

To apply for an MMSI license in Malta, the following documents are typically required:

  • Proof of ownership (bill of sale or registration certificate)
  • Radio license
  • Copy of the vessel's registration
  • List of equipments installed onboard

Yes. To change the ownership on a vessel registered under the Maltese flag, the following documents are typically required:

  • Notarized bill of sale (It should include the names and addresses of both parties, the vessel details, the purchase price, and the date of transfer)
  • Passport/ID
  • Existing Registration Certificate

To cancel the registration of a boat registered under the Maltese flag, the following documents are typically required:

  • Existing Registration Certificate
  • Proof of Payment of Outstanding Fees

For recreational vessels, a license is not typically required to operate a boat in Malta.

For commercial vessels, such as charter boats or passenger vessels, the operator is required to have a valid license or certificate of competency issued by the Maltese authorities or a recognized certification body.

Stay Connected